798

Yesterday Nick had arranged to take us out for Lunch, but first we had to go and open our bank accounts. The way that the bank guy examined my passport, made me worry that I was going to get thrown out of the Country. It took so long! Nick decided to take us to the art art district '798'. It's up in the North East, whereas the offices are down in the South West so it took us over an hour to get there. The drive was fun though, we drove past loads of sites like Tiananmen and the Forbidden city, as well as Sanlitun and some of the embassies. 


798 is the Dalston of Beijing, when we got there both Evelina and I said it felt like we were in Stockholm/London respectively. It's nice and leafy, with brick buildings that are only a couple of storeys tall. 


We chose a nice looking restaurant, it had mini conservatories, and we sat in one with a fish shaped table. Admittedly the fish table, whilst fun, wasn't the best design; because if you sat at the tail end - which I did - the table curves away from you. When you add chopsticks to the mix this becomes an extra challenge!

Pear juice!


The food was great though, they even had sweet and sour pork Hong Kong style, which tasted just like it did at home! 


After Lunch we wandered round the area, it's full of galleries, bars and quirky clothing shops. There was a beautiful fan shop that sold traditional fans in loads of different sizes. Evelina and I decided that we're both going to get one to take home. I'm thinking a big one with a traditional design to hang the wall when I find somewhere to live on a more permanent basis. 


Some of the different art work.

There was a photo shoot going on.

We didn't have much time because we both have to pick up our respective kids from school. That's somewhere I definitely want to go back to when I have more time. 
When I was on the bus to pick up Leo, some old guy with white hair winked at me. Unfortunately I had to get off before I could get his number, hopefully I'll bump into him on another school run. ;)
The evening was fairly normal, Leo and I built Lego, then he destroyed it. Not disheartening at all! 


Comments

Popular Posts