Birthday! China Style

So yesterday was my birthday! Whoop whoop! I am now the big 2-0. When I woke up I hastily opened the presents that had been staring at me all week. The wardrobes even have glass doors, so there was no hiding from them. I received a really pretty scarf, bracelet, and jumper that says 'C'est la Vie' on it. After a call from my completely sober parents at 2o'clock their time, I had breakfast. However the family didn't know it was my birthday, so I had to awkwardly tell them. They were very lovely, and Helen ordered me a Black Forest gateau :).
After playing Lego with Leo (hehe that sounds funny) I treated myself by downloading a good book sequel and destroyed it in about 5 hours. Yes I'm sad if I think that's an idea of a good birthday. However it was amazing. 
For dinner the Grandad had made 长寿面 which are longevity noodles. The idea is that they give you longevity of life. As well as prawn cocktail, potato salad, chicken drumsticks, and salad with real dressing! He made some tasty Chinese dishes as well. 

Leo played Happy Birthday on the piano, and they all sung along. '你的生曰快乐' which means Happy Birthday to you. They didn't have any candles so I had a tea light to blow out. I cut up the cake, and because the Chinese eat sweet mixed up with the rest of the meal, like when we went out for lunch and they had mash potato covered in blueberry jam and sprinkles for starters, they had their cake during the main meal. So when I wasn't eating the cake, they got really worried. Q had to explain how we eat in the UK, as in we have the cake at the end! 


It was super tasty! After my cake, I went and skyped ma famille, which was challenging as apparently Sunday evenings are when everyone skypes. The connection wasn't all that great. It was a weird birthday, but nice. :D

Comments

Popular Posts