I'm tall. It's official, Someone told me.

 As I don't have to take Leo to school - being a Chinese au pair is infinitely better than being a European one - and I don't have class on Wednesdays, I had a long lie in. I finally headed into the city about 1, and and as soon as I got there went straight for Lunch. I had some kind of fried of rice and vegetables thing, it was tasty but as usual I couldn't eat anywhere near all of it. Also rather insultingly the waitress brought me a fork. They do this everywhere. I just want to say I may have big eyes, have curly hair, and be paler than any of you could ever hope to be - in Asia they idolise paleness, whereas we idolise a perfect tan - but I can use chopsticks. One slight problem is that I would only be able to say about 40% of those words, and would probably use completely the wrong tones. 
After this I went to a big bookstore to find myself a textbook to work through. I found a good one that gives a good explanation of grammar as well as vocabulary. Slightly better than Shakespeare esque poems. While I was there I found the international section. There was a selection of old and untouched George Orwell books, which were really yellowed in comparison to the rest of the shelf. 


 I found it quite amusing.
They also had some interesting book sections, such as; Final Sprint to High school Entrance Examinations, Public English, Business English, Tourist English, Professional English, College English and finally Coffee Shop English. Good to know that there are so many different types. ;)
Before getting back on the Subway I went to go get a drink. Their selection of fruit drinks here is exceptional, mango, kiwi, strawberry, dragonfruit to name a few. I stopped at this little drinks bar and ordered a mango drink, however on the menu I saw the 'Cheesiest Poutine' - YUM! - 'Spiciest Bolognese' but on chips not pasta, 'Ovaltine and Milk tea' i really hope that they don't actually add tea to that, and most horrifically 'Fish 'n Chips' but with a German flag next to it! I mean, seriously? Fish and chips are as much of an English institution as Boarding schools, having a cuppa, and the Queen. How dare they attribute Fish and chips to a country to a country whose biggest exports are bratwurst and lederhosen! 
They subway is a great place to people watch, the little kids who won't stop staring at me, the fashionable girls covered head to in toe in designer, the old ladies chatting - at the same volume as a Concorde. However most people seem to want to watch me. As I've already said I'm as unasian as you can get. I have great big blue eyes, with accompanying eyelashes - I've stopped wearing mascara, it just feels extra flaunty - I'm super pale, relatively tall, my hair is curly, and I have freckles - which are considered pretty ugly over here. The only good thing I can say is thank god I'm not Ginger. So every journey I have some people staring at me, it's mainly kids or old people, but it still very unnerving. Admittedly tripping up the subway stairs and scattering your new books everywhere doesn't help with the whole inconspicuous thing, but if I could avoid doing that I would. I am contemplating pulling the 'Jenna Marbles face' at the next person who ostentatiously stares though.

Seriously google the video, it's too funny.

That afternoon we went to pick up Leo, the grandad usually cycles but as I had flat out refused we walked. We went with the grandma of one of Leo's classmates, her first exclamation on seeing me was 'she's tall', in Chinese '她是高'. See it's official, I am tall! Ha! Cam when you come over you're going to suffer, I pity you already. Anyways we walked to the kindergarten which is super cute and painted in really bright primary colours. They're really strict about letting the kids go, they bring out each class one by one, and the teacher literally hands over each child to their parent one by one. It takes ageeees. The rest of the evening was normal playtime and dinner. Luckily no yogurt salad!

Comments

Popular Posts