The weekend!!

I'm going to be honest, on Friday I just did boring stuff related to my overall life plan rather than this trip. The smog was horrific though so I didn't miss going out. In fact when I went to pick up Leo I kind of dreaded venturing out into what the US embassy had deemed Unhealthy for the last 48 hours at least. The only spectacular thing to happen that day, was that I sat and watched this giant lightening storm for about an hour that evening. The Lightening was purple!! And so close. The Thunder was pretty rumbly as well. 
On Saturday we went to Walmart, now I was expecting some kind of foreigner haven. I practically ran to the imported products section. Alas! There weren't any crisps, no Hob nobs, no Tropicana, and no marmite! Trying to explain what marmite is was the most ridiculous thing that you could ever witness. I eventually just gave up. The rest of the shop was fairly unsuccessful, still no creme fraiche, but I did find single cream. Food over here is just ridiculously cheap. The whole weekly shop came to 252¥, that is £25 for a shop that included 2kg of beef ribs, 1kg of chicken, a couple of bottles of wine, alongside all the other things a family eats during the week!  Insane!

Some stealthy camera work from yours truly. 

I was supposed to cook on Saturday night but the Grandfather thinks anyone but him is incapable in the kitchen. Helen told me he thinks I am too young to cook, and because I have to check the recipe whilst I'm cooking I'm not good enough. I just want to shout I'm 20!! I'm capable of cooking, yes I have to check the recipe, but thats because I haven't been making these things for the past 50 years! I know how to use a cooker, no that heat is perfect I don't need it turning up. No I don't need your help stirring my mushrooms. No it's alright really I can open that milk by myself. Oh wow you brought me sliced up apples as if I'm the same age as Leo, that's so kind of you and not demeaning at all. Yes I do know how to use a washing machine/ yes I can wash up dishes! The thing is Chinese kids never ever have to do any of these things. Even at University all their food is cooked for them, their laundry done, their rooms cleaned. It's mental. Helen said that when she graduated she had no idea how to do any of those things. So she ate out, hired a cleaner, paid someone to clean her clothes. She doesn't even know how to do this stuff now because her parents live with them. I hate to point it out but in about 10 years she is going to be in a bit of a pickle. 
On Sunday we went to 798, which was really nice, I got to actually look in some galleries, there was some really impressive artwork. I would say that it's definitely worth a visit if you go to Beijing. It's a nice alternative to the traditional tourist spots as well. They also had a great range of home design stores. So I spent a disproportionate amount of time decorating a house I don't have. 


However it was when I was in this modern art gallery (not the best art in my opinion, but what do I know) I was following this long piece of art along a wall when I twisted my ankle. Twisted badly, as in tears in the eyes and hobbling bad. Trying to not draw attention to myself, I slowly and painfully made my way to one of those mini cinemas they sometimes have in galleries, it was some ridiculous video of paint being dribbled onto toys then rewound, then again in slow motion. How exciting! However it did allow me to rest for a few minutes and assess the damage. You may be wondering what caused me to trip, was it perhaps some pitted concrete, or maybe cobbles, maybe some shifting sands all of which would be perfectly reasonable surfaces to twist your ankle on. Nope a perfectly smooth and well laid hardwood floor. You see I am just incredibly incapable of putting 1 foot in front of the other without some kind of accident. I trip at least 2 to 3 times a day on average. Badly placed pavement, curbs, tree roots, leaves. You name it I've tripped over it. Chronically clumsy. After about 10 minutes I managed to walk out to where Helen was waiting with Leo. Luckily the restaurant where we headed was just across the street. As it was an American restaurant I ordered a Burger! Yum! The only one on offer though was a cheese burger, so I specifically asked for it without! After half an hour it turned up... With cheese... So I sent it back and it took a further 20 minutes. Incompetent chefs. After this we headed back. But before we got in the car we had ice cream which was so tasty!

Half chocolate and half vanilla!

When I got home I had to ice my ankle, and keep it elevated. 
As I hadn't cooked the night before I managed to elbow my way into the kitchen. I made my absolute favourite dish of all time, chicken fricassee. Despite the lack of creme fraiche it turned out really well. Even the grandad liked it! Haha take that old man!!!!




Comments

Popular Posts